Importing Sounds to iMovie 3

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun Feb 2 10:24:30 PST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:50:34 -0800, David <themixguy at mac.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 05:44 PM, Macintosh Digital Video
>List wrote:
>
>>  You know, you could add them to your home folder for direct access
>  > from iMovie, right?
>>  Go to your home folder-library-iMovie.  There should already be a
>>  plug-ins folder there assuming you downloaded the iMovie Plugin Pack.
>>  You just make another folder entitled Sound Effects and put the sound
>>  files in there.  The next time you open iMovie, they should be there.
>
>Tried that and it still didn't work. I was expecting the new "Sound
>Effects" folder to show up in the pop-up list, along with the Skywalker
>Sounds and the iTunes Library. What am I doing wrong? Tried it in my
>administrator Library>iMovie>Plug-ins folder to no avail. Also tried
>the root Library>iMoive>Plug-ins folder. Any help here?

Yesterday I added two folders of Hollywood Edge sound effects files
(one contains the files from the Apple site, the other free files
from the HE site) to my <~/Library/iMovie/Sound Effects> folder (not
Plug-ins). I was a little concerned that this wouldn't work, because
these sound files are all .mp3, but the sound effects already in that
folder were all .aif files.

However, when I started iMovie 3 and checked the sound effects panel,
those new folders appeared there in bold, with all the files under
them, and they played correctly.

As a side note, if you place folders in the Sound Effects folder, be
sure their names are 32 characters or less. Initially one of my
folders had a longer name, and iMovie displayed it truncated (with
one of those funky numbers at the end). Seems kinda odd that iMovie
doesn't support OS X long file names there (possibly just an
oversight).

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>