iMovie 3

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun Feb 2 10:54:14 PST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 23:58:25 -0500, Gerhard Kuhn <suspice at hay.net> wrote:
>I don't find it to be slower except when inserting still photos but the
>quality of the photos is much improved.  The rendering of transitions
>seems to take similar length of time as before.  I have only played
>with short clips but I like the new interface and don't find it to be
>slow enough frustrate me.  Are you using a older slow machine?
>
>Gerhard
>On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 11:51  PM, Pwadams at aol.com wrote:
>
>>  Holy Moly, I just tried iMovie3 for the first time and I am stunned by
>>  it's slow response.  I can't work like this!  Is there cache somewhere
>>  that i need to empty?  Oh please let it be that simple.
>>  Pam

I have an iMac G4 800 (15-inch flat-panel) with 1GB RAM, running OS X 10.2.3.

The startup takes about 50 seconds for me, but may have something to
do with the fact that the project I'm loading (57 minutes of home
movies transferred from 8mm film to 8mm video to DV) has over 25 GB
of data in its folder, with 50 clips.

Beyond that, it appears that previewing titles and transitions in the
iMovie monitor are almost real-time speed now, whereas with iMovie
they were much slower IIRC. Most effects still preview slower then
real-time. Rendering effects in a clip MIGHT be a little slower, but
I'm not sure.

I don't see any skipping or stuttering when I play clips.

In addition to new features that others have discussed, here are a
couple that I noticed (maybe I just wasn't aware of them in iMovie 2).

When using fast forward (cmd-]) or rewind (cmd-[), iMovie 3 plays the
speeded-up audio -- it was mute in iMovie 2, IIRC. The fast forward
and rewind are not as fast as before, though.

When I was using iMovie 2, and I wanted to increase the brightness of
a scene in the middle of a clip, I would first split the clip into 3
clips, and then apply the effect to the middle one. I've discovered
that iMovie 3 will let me set crop markers to mark the section of the
original clip that I want to apply the effect to, and then just apply
it -- iMovie 3 automatically splits the clip at the markers and then
renders the effect. I never did much with the crop markers in iMovie
2, so I may have just missed that feature.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>