[MacDV] how to get VHS video into computer for editing?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 13:09:25 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 02:48 PM, Brenda Pedersen wrote:

> I've found a good reputable company who will clean and transfer the
> film to VHS, digital 8, miniDV or DVD - my choice. Leaning towards VHS
> based on current equipment, etc. I'll go the digital 8 or miniDV route
> if I can find a friend or neighbour with a Digital camcorder that I
> can borrow...

You might want to give them a small reel and do a few minutes of
"sample" transfer to be sure that you're satisfied with the results.
I've seen quite a few professionally made transfers and the quality
could be an issue. It could particularly be an issue if you're going to
make VHS to VHS copies to distribute. If you have a VHS sample made,
you might want to try copying it to see what you have at the end of the
assembly line. I suspect you will not be pleased.

Depending on what they're going to charge, you might be better off
looking for a used Digital8 camera and do the transfer yourself.

> As few family members have yet embraced DVD's, that format is out.

If you capture and edit the film digitally, you can always send the
final product back to the camera and dub to VHS tape from there, as
well as having DVD copies.

SR