Questions about iMovie 3 and extracted audio

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun Feb 2 14:17:56 PST 2003

Today I wanted to play around with using Amadeus II to try to filter
some background sound from an iMovie 3 clip in a project I've been
working on.

I extracted the audio from the clip, but couldn't find any obvious
way to export the audio from iMovie, other than just us the Finder to
copy the "Voice 1" file I found in the project's media folder. If
there were lots of audio clips, it might be hard to find the right
one. Is there any elegant way of exporting audio for external
processing? I presume it can be brought back in using the
File->Import... command.

After this experiment, I wanted to return to using the audio that was
(supposedly) still in the video clip, and get rid of the extracted
audio clip. According to the iMovie 3 Help, and I quote, "You can
turn the sound back on in that video clip's Clip Info window." Well,
I opened the Clip Info window for the clip, and there is nothing in
there about un-muting the clip's original audio (luckily, I haven't
tossed the extracted clip yet). Am I missing something here? Could it
have anything to do with the fact that the clip in question has been
rendered with an effect (Brightness)? I know it still contains the
audio, because I've opened the clip in QuickTime Player, and it plays
fine.

Thanks.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>