iMovie 3 & still photo issues

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Mon Feb 3 20:27:27 PST 2003

on 2/3/03 6:05 PM, Gerhard dropped through the skylight and said:

>> 1) The Ken Burns Effect. Is there an easy way to make the iMovie
>> application default to NOT applying the Burns effect to a still photo
>> you've imported?
> Yes, if you set the start and end point to the same spot and apply all
> subsequent photos will use this as the default. i.e. keep the slider
> all the way to the left for the start point, then all the way to the
> left for the end point and then hit apply and no more automatic effect

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I realize how to "remove" the Burns effect
from a still. I also discovered that each subsequent photo then inherits
this setting. What I'm specifically wondering is if you can set iMovie to
automatically default to a "non-Burns effect" setting when starting a new
project. Currently I can start a new project, import a still photo, re-set
it to zero-Burns and then import the rest of my stills at that setting. It
may be a trivial matter to do that, but what if I want to start a new
project and NOT have the first still come in & have the Burns effect applied
to it?

>> 2) On the subject of still photo rendering... we noticed each still
>> photo
>> begins rendering after it's imported.  Someone on the Apple discussion
>> boards speculated that iMovie is creating a reference file of each
>> still
>> photo in order to deal with it more efficiently.  Anyone have the
>> scoop on
>> why iMovie is rendering each still photo as it is brought in?
> The photo is no longer a jpeg but part of a dv stream that means 29.7
> frames per second Info window.

That is what I kind of assumed. I wonder what effect this approach has to
total file size of the project's media content?  Will iMovie 3 projects eat
up that much more hard drive space using this approach?  Hard drive space
has abviously decreased in cost, but not everyone has the tummy to pony up
the dough for a new/additional drive. There's a line between purchases of
necessity and purchases of convenience. If iMovie 3, with it's apparent
klunkiness and all, will force me into a hard drive space dilemma, then I'm
better off staying at 2.1.2.

>> Clip Info, the file size went from approx. 120k to 17mb.  Also, after
>> rendering we could see no way to change to the still clip's duration.
> The longer the duration of your still the larger the file size because
> each second of video is made up of 29.7 frames

Yes, but how do I go about changing the still clip's duration once iMovie
finishes rendering it?  I must be missing something somewhere, because I
couldn't find where to change it.  Anyone care to point me in the right
direction?

--
Randy Clark
hawkgx at planetkc.com