IDVD and yLife (why iLife)

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 18:03:58 PST 2003

On 2/5/03 at 1:10 PM, Steve Demarest <demarest at tumwater.net> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>Dear  Listers;
>
>All of the iLife components, except iDVD are available free by
>download.
>
>IDVD is available free with all superdrive macs
>
>IDVD only works with superdrive Macs
>
>So, who would want to buy iLife?
>
>Seems, either you can get all useable components free, or you already
>have the one component not available as a free download. What am I
>missing?

Anybody who has a SuperDrive Mac already, with iDVD 2 and who wants iDVD
3 would be the market for iLife (me, for example).

>And, on the topic of iMovie 3 . . .
>
> I really like the way a clip that gets split into two, pushes the
> other clips out of the way to keep the two in sequence.
>
> I really like the incorporation of iphotos iTunes. Especially iTunes
>since previously iMovie did not read the MP3 format.

This last part isn't true. iMovie 2.1 accepted both AIFF and MP3 files
via Import. The first part (liking the integration), I'll second.

> Now if only split clips appeared split in the Finder and if only they
>could be named in iMovie and have those names carry forward to the
>Finder. I still find it very hard to share clips between projects
>because of this naming hassle. When is iMovie 4 coming out?

Renaming the clips in the Finder is a hassle, agreed. As to iMovie 4,
I'd bet there's at least a year to wait, maybe 18 months. They don't
tend to do full-version upgrades more frequently than that. Now, an
iMovie 3.1 sometime later this year is not outside the realm of
possibility.

--
--Dennis Cohen
  iLife Bible (April/May 2003)