[MacDV] Re: iPhoto folders

Dmytro Koval'ov dmytro.kovalov at citigroup.com
Thu Feb 6 18:27:25 PST 2003

Hi,

  David> I tried copying photos from an album in the Finder as described
  David> (by Option dragging the symlinks as described). but I got a
  David> folder full of symlinks, not files

  Dmytro> Sorry, I'll need to get get home to test this with GUI in
  Dmytro> front of the Mac.

Regarding the homework I've promised to do yesterday: yes, indeeed
I haven't found a way to copy symlinks as files from GUI. That's bad
:(  I've tested this both with Finder and Path Finder. But...

  David> I'm still reluctant to get into Terminal mode, preferring the
  David> GUI, so forgive me for not trying that solution.

... Terminal is not *that* scary. And this is good :)

MacOSX's Terminal cooperates well with Finder. There's one feature in
Terminal that helps a lot when typing long path in command line: if
you drag folder or file from Finder onto Terminal window its path
appears on command line. With this it's really not that difficult to
copy files.

  Erica> Yes, but my method doesn't require you to use any extra disk
  Erica> space--a consideration of importance to me--when creating a CD
  Erica> backup.

It's possible to copy files directly to CD being burned, so there's no
space on disk wasted. I'll show how to do this below.

This was tested yesterday and worked well for me. I've tested this
with CD-RW, but there's no reason why it should fail for CD-R or
DVD-R, DVD-RW.

1. Insert blank CD-R in drive. It will appear on Desktop as "Untitled
   CD". You can open it and create sub-folders in it (for instance
   "Backup Folder").

2. Open folder with "iPhoto Library" -> "Albums" in Finder.

3. Open Terminal application.

4. In Terminal type:

   "cd "
   - without quotes but with space after cd. Do not press "Return"
   yet.

5. Drag folder of album that you want to copy to CD onto Terminal
   window (Let's say it's "My Album").

   The full path to this folder appears on the command line. You'll
   see something like:
   $ cd /Users/david/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/Albums/My\ Album

   What's important here: all file names inserted with all
   these backslashes "\" (properly "escaped" in UNIX-speak) to allow
   copying files with names that have spaces and non-English
   letters. Latter being important for me -- my album and file names
   mostly mix of English/Ukrainian/Japanese.

6. Hit "Return"

7. Type
   "cp * "
   Also without quotes but with spaces after cd and after *.

8. Drag folder from the "Untitled CD" onto Terminal window.
   You'll see:
   $ cp * /Volumes/Untitled\ CD/Backup\ Folder

9. Hit "Return". Files will start copying. Dependent on their number
   and sizes it will take some seconds to tens of seconds. Copying is
   finished when you'll see "prompt" appeared on the command line
   i.e. "$".

10. After you've finished copying, eject CD. You can rename it before
    ejecting,. You'll be presented with window asking do you want to
    burn the disk. Select "Burn".

That's it.

Sorry, if that's was too long of explanation. It's really simpler and
faster to do than to explain :-) And it's not limited to copying files
to CD. The same way you can copy albums to iPodo or external disk.

But be aware, there's one danger here: once you've learned how to work
with command line, you'll love it and start using it more and more... ;-)

Regards,
Dmytro.

--
 Dmytro Koval'ov
 http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~as9d-kvlv

GPG keyID 215DDFF7
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 215DDFF7