[MacDV] What will DVD-RAM do that DVD-RW won't do?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Feb 6 23:13:04 PST 2003

DVD-RAM is more like a very slow hard drive. You can drag and drop to
write to it like you do to a hard drive. You can trash files and delete
them like you do from a hard drive.

I'm not clear about 105 DVD-RW's multi-session capability. I think it's
more like CD-RW. I just got mine three weeks ago. Haven't gotten into
it yet. The reason for putting them both in there is so you can
duplicate DVDs you make or others (not illegally) easily. I don't claim
to be an expert on all the copy and duplication ways with this drive
yet.

I'm sure you can make a disk image and copy multiple times with Toast
5.2. You have that? I think Toast 5.2 is an essential utility for
writing CD-Rs and DVD-Rs. I realize that Apple has made multi-session
burning easier with the new Disk Copy features for that
(File—>New—>Blank Image or "Command N"). But Toast is much more
versatile and you don't have to know how big the image is in advance of
creating it like you do with Apple's way.

Somebody else care to take this ball please. Anyone spend much time
rewriting to a Pioneer DVD-RW drive yet?