[MacDV] Re: Editing from DVD

markflo at mac.com markflo at mac.com
Fri Feb 7 13:14:16 PST 2003

I've edited from a DVD -- it's not ideal, but it will work in a pinch.

Basically what happens is that the existing artifacts in the DVD signal
get "amplified" by more artifacts during the DV encoding process
(either by going to tape or "passing through" analog->DV), and if you
then export that back to DVD again, you get yet even more artifacts.
Comparing it to VHS though, it's more than acceptable.

Like everyone keeps saying -- export a final edit back to DV as well as
DVD -- then if you need to access the edited footage, get it from the
DV (or Digital8) tape rather than the DVD.

- Mark