FCE's Color Corrector

Darrin Cardani dcardani at dls.net
Sat Feb 8 05:53:27 PST 2003

At 3:52 AM -0800 2/8/03, Craig Busch <clbusch at earthlink.net> wrote:
>I would sure appreciate it if someone using Final Cut Express would
>post a review.  I am
>especially interested in how the color corrector works.  A guy at
>the Apple store said it
>had the same color corrector at FCP.  I checked it our and he was
>wrong.  I was also told
>that the color corrector was real time.  I was told by a different
>Apple person that it
>was not.
>I would like to hear from someone actually using it.

Well, I haven't actually used it, but here is what was demonstrated
at the Chicago Final Cut Pro user's group meeting, last month:

1) Final Cut Express doesn't allow keyframing of effect parameters. I
didn't believe it when I first heard it, but apparently, it's true.
That alone makes it worth less than $300 to me.

2) The Color Corrector is the same as Final Cut Pro's "Color
Correction" filter, which is different than Final Cut Pro's "3-Way
Color Corrector". It's the one which has a single "track ball" and a
hue wheel. It isn't the one which has 3 track balls for the shadows,
mids, and highlights.

3) FCP's Color Corrector is realtime, so I'd expect Final Cut
Express's to be also, but I honestly don't know.

Sorry this wasn't the definitive info you wanted, but hopefully it
helps a little.

Darrin
Darrin Cardani - dcardani at buena.com
President, Buena Software, Inc.
<http://www.buena.com/>
Video, Image and Audio Processing Development