Editing from DVD

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sat Feb 8 10:32:35 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:02:42 -0800, Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> wrote:
>Yes, I know that. I was referring to is what is on the tape, which as
>you so rightly point out, is already very compressed. But do we ever
>have the 65 GB/hr in a form we can save like that Erica? Isn't that
>just theoretical while we are looking at it? Is there a way to save DV
>to the uncompressed format? And if so what is that format called and
>how do we do that?

>On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 02:57  PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>>  At 2:44 PM -0800 2/7/03, Thubten Kunga wrote:
>>>  uncompressed is 13 GB/hr. 3 dvds.
>>>
>>  It is compressed. DV-25. Uncompressed is (lessee--doin'
>>  math in me head) 65 GB/hr. Lotsa dvds. (pre-Bluelaserdvdsofcourse)
>>
>  > -- Erica
[...]

Kunga --

I guess my question would be: What's the point of saving a
(compressed) DV file to this uncompressed format? You wouldn't gain
any information back that the DV file didn't have in its compressed
form.

Now if you could capture the original video right from the camera
into the uncompressed format without going through the DV stage, you
might have something. But of course then you are talking about huge
amounts of data to contend with, and special high-priced equipment.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>