[MacDV] Re: pass through on a TRV-900?

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Sun Feb 9 07:47:00 PST 2003

>Will the TRV-900 do video pass through?
No, unless you use the "hack" that some people have talked about.  I do not know how to do it though.
>I checked the Sony web site at that time, and it clearly said that the TRV-900
>would do pass through.
I remember a salesperson, either on the website or at a Retailer, saying that it was an error on the sony website.  Some retailers also used Sony's website information which further confused a lot of people.  If I am incorrect in what I have just shared,
please provide us with an update.  Any Sony people on the list?

>My guess is that Sony added the pass through feature at some point,
>without changing the model number.  So older TRV-900 models can't do
>pass through, but those manufactured shortly before the TRV-950 came
>out can do pass through.  I haven't done it, but that's the info that
>I have found.
Interesting... I purchased a TRV 900 just a few weeks before the 950 came out.  It was backordered from Sony Canada (made in Japan) and the manufactured date was February 2002, and no pass-through. I did a lot of research on both models and discovered
that there were more drawbacks to using the 950 than using the 900.  Such as the new lens that was used, and a few other items that I cannot seem to remember at this time.  But anyway, several people that I contacted ("professional" camcorder reviewers)
all agreed that the 900 was the "better" camera than the 950.  The pass-through capability was a consideration for me, so I also picked up a a very inexpensive D8TRV730 to do pass-through (also used as a "VCR") for my work (which also meant I could still
use 8mm and Hi8 tapes with my students).