[MacDV] Re: Optimize

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Feb 10 09:32:12 PST 2003

But on the other hand, if you defrag your drive too much, you could
actually cause premature drive failure due to the high level of disk
activity that is going on in this process.  I say once a month MAX!  I
never defrag my drives, and I always seem to have enough performance
for doing audio and video (even on a Blue G3/400).  But if you have
smaller/slower drives, then defragging could help if you are
experiencing dropped frames or generally slow audio/video playback
performance.

Someone mentioned this earlier, and I'll bring it up again as well...
If you can afford it, just get two drives, and if you keep them both
only half full, you can just copy files from one to the other and back
again to defrag your drive.  So you would:

- copy files from fragmented drive to second drive
- reformat fragmented drive (keep the drive name the same)
- copy files back to freshly formatted drive
- enjoy

Hope this helps.

- Mark