[MacDV] Re: Optimize

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 10 10:43:13 PST 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> But on the other hand, if you defrag your drive too much, you could
> actually cause premature drive failure due to the high level of disk
> activity that is going on in this process.  I say once a month MAX!

Its a trade-off because reading the same file from a fragmented drive
requires more head movement than reading from a non-fragmented drive.

> Someone mentioned this earlier, and I'll bring it up again as well...
> If you can afford it, just get two drives, and if you keep them both
> only half full, you can just copy files from one to the other and back
> again to defrag your drive.

Yes, that's a good idea. Its much better to defragment by formatting
than by moving the files around with a defrag program. Unfortunately,
you can't do that on your boot volume. I think its a really good idea
to do video on some disk that is *not* the boot volume for that reason.

SR