CDs to use for VCDs

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 22:17:22 PST 2003

I'm still looking for the "holy grail" of a CD that will work as a Video CD in my friend's Sony DVD player. I had once made a successful test VCD on a PC using some generic looking CD-Rs from CompUSA but they no longer carry them. They looked like they must have been repackaged CD-R blanks for CD duplicators. They were plain silver on the label side with no markings at all and the recording side was so close in appearance to the other side that you had to look closely to put it in right. If I could find a new source for these, it would be great.

I've tried so far Memorex, iMation and Sony CD-Rs and Memorex CD-RWs without success. I'm about to try out Maxell Music CD-RWs which brings up a question: Is there really a difference between music and data CDs (CD-Rs, CD-RWs) or is it just a packaging gimmick to charge more?

-Dave