[MacDV] Re: CDs to use for VCDs

Ric Perrott writerric at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 11:45:45 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 07:25  AM, John Leonard wrote:

> This is not exactly correct. You have to understand that there are two
> types
> of CD Recorder. When it became obvious that people wanted to make
> their own
> music CDs and that there was a market for a home recording system as
> opposed
> to the high-priced recorders being sold into the professional market,
> the
> music industry came up with the concept of a CD blank that would have
> an
> licence fee built in to the cost and a flag that would only be
> recognised by
> these domestic CD recorders. Apart from that, there is no major
> difference
> between these licensed CDs and their unlicensed counterparts. The
> concept of
> this licensing system never really took off as it became perfectly
> possible
> to burn CDs for personal use using a standard CD-R in any computer,
> which
> doesn't care what blanks you use (unless you try using one of the
> "licensed"
> discs, which won't work.)

Which part of what I said is "not exactly correct"? Please point that
out to me.

I am fully aware that there are 2 types of recorder, as I'm the one
that pointed that out. I'm also the one that pointed out the flag on
the Audio CDR.

You state that "Apart from that, there is no major difference between
these licensed CDs and their unlicensed counterparts." However the
original poster didn't say that there wasn't any MAJOR difference, he
said:

>> There is no difference between music and data CD-Rs. It's just a
>> packaging gimmick to charge more.

which is 100% incorrect as I pointed out and you obviously agree with.
So again, tell me where what I said was "not exactly correct"

Incidentally, Music CDRs will work fine in computers despite your
erroneous claims to the contrary. Data CDRs will not work in the vast
majority of Standalone Audio CDR decks, however music CDRs will work
fine in computers. The issue of course is why spend more for a disc if
you don't have to.

Next time you feel the need to "correct" someone, please ensure that
they actually are in need of correcting.