[MacDV] Re: adding NTSC monitor

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Feb 11 08:57:54 PST 2003

The problem using a TV set, as opposed to a monitor, is that TV's have
circuitry (in the good ol' days, the culprit was called a "DC
Restorer") which takes anything input and "makes it look good." This is
a HUGE problem if you are working with Final Cut Pro's Three Color
Corrector. There is so much power available, you are killing yourself
NOT to be color correcting to a monitor. B&H PhotoVideo has pro
monitors starting under $700.  I shop there, and don't mean to plug
them, but they are so omnipresent due to their size, volume, and
pricing, here's a link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/
FrameWork.class?FNC=CatalogActivator__Acatalog_html___CatID=1981___SID=F
384F56FFF0

Short of a broadcast monitor, you can sort of get by if you learn to
read waveform/vectorscope displays, use a TV to preview, but tweak to
the on screen scope data.. You want a big monitor, or two monitors, to
use the Three Up display in FCP.

Richard Brown