[MacDV] One-side 9.4 GB DVD-R media

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Feb 11 08:31:47 PST 2003

The current DVD technology does not allow multi-layer recording,
thus, higher than 4.7 GB requires a two sides DVD recordable disc.

DVD mastering facilities generally require DLT tape masters, which
easily hold all the data required for all current DVD production.

DLT recorders start over $1,000, and the newer ones generally
will record in the older formats, which is sometimes required by
some DVD mastering facilities.

The irony is AIT drives, which have superseded DLT, are cheaper
and much faster, BUT, not many mastering facilities will accept
such tapes.

Be forewarned, DLT is not a good generalized backup medium,
as it is PAINFULLY slow when archiving more than DVD sized
chunks. In DLT's favor, DVD's don't hold that much data currently.

Richard Brown