[MacDV] Re: Extracting Audio from iMovie

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 13 11:54:46 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 11:54  AM, Dennis R. Cohen wrote

> If you have QuickTime Pro, what you want to do is easy (iMovie 3 steps,
> below):
>
> 1) Extract the audio tracks as you already have
>
> 2) Choose Export from the File menu

I tried that, but the export dialog didn't give any indication that the
extracted audio file existed. It seemed to be intent on exporting the
selected DV clip. Maybe your procedure will work, but it's not
necessary to first extract the audio- just select the clip containing
the audio. I'll try both methods.

> Take the AIFF files into iTunes. You don't want to convert to MP3 as
> that will result in some quality loss and writing a CD is just going to
> convert back to (essentially) AIFF again, but the quality loss is still
> there.

When I first studied the help files for iTunes, they seemed to indicate
that everything imported into iTunes would be converted to MP3 whether
I like it or not. I remember thinking that it would make more sense to
stay in AIFF if there was sufficient room on the hard disk. I'll look a
little deeper.

Thanks,
Steve Robertson