[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Feb 18 11:03:19 PST 2003

With a Titanium Powerbook, an ADS Pyro Firewire case (new version) with
the Oxford chipset, you have  a great full DV resolution field editing
solution. I posted a big show with this combo (actually two ADS cases
with 120GB drives in each, daisy chained) in the field, went to mass
VHS replication, and now, DVD with the show which is drawing raves in
its market segment. Did not notice any problems connecting to a PD150
for I/O, using the PD150 for video out to a monitor for color
correction, etc. The edit was flawless in FCP 3. Not a single hiccup in
about 2 solid weeks of LONG days. We had previously trimmed from about
27 hours of footage, and used FCP to lay the current edit onto the
Firewire drive, leaving handles on the ends of the edits, then dumped
all the needed additional footage onto both the first and second
Firewire drives. In the field, we transferred the last stuff... all
without a hitch.

I agree completely: keep video off the internal HD on a notebook.
Dedicate an external Firewire drive(s) completely to video... not
really using it (them) for anything else. It also helps to not skimp on
the drives themselves. To that end... we're waiting for the Maxtor
Maxline drives around here to give them a good test.

Richard Brown
www.go2rba.com