[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 03:44:40 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 09:18 AM, Erica Sadun wrote:

>> Well, if you're not having trouble, then don't worry about it. But, I
>> have, and I have read in books by Michael Rubin,  and Michael Wohl
>> (and I believe Lisa Brenneis) that capturing to and exporting from
>> the OS disk/partition is asking for trouble.
>
> Really? Do you have a cite?

OK, I'm home now. Final Cut Pro 3 by Lisa Brenneis. Page 22: "It is
recommended that you saved captured media files on a different disk
than the disk where Final Cut Pro is installed." And page 81: "You
should use your fastest disk drives as your scratch disk. For best
performance, avoid setting the system hard disk as the scratch disk."

Beginner's Final Cut Pro by Michael Rubin. Page 213: "In traditional
professional systems, it is considered good form to have your
application software on one hard disk and your video media on another."
And page 214: "Many professionals I know cannot divorce themselves from
the need to maintain these separations. Apple even recommends them for
best system performance. The ideal Mac configuration includes a small
hard disk with OS, applications, and other files that might be on the
computer...and then one or more large drives for the video media files."

And then for the advice that made you boo and hiss, also page 214: "If
you only have one hard disk in your Mac and don't expect to purchase
another anytime soon, the next best thing is to fake it. Using a
hardware utility available on all Macs, you can establish partitions on
a single drive, so that the Mac thinks it has a number of
drives...Doubling up the media files and the rest of the OS and apps
all on one drive can result in dropped frames during playback; and
irritation that many choose to accept, and others endure unsure of why
it's happening."

I didn't find anything about capture/scratch disks in Editing
Techniques with Final Cut Pro by Michael Wohl.

And from the FCP Manual, vol 1, page 33: "In most cases you should use
dedicated volumes for capturing and playing back your digital video and
other media files. You can use separate disks or partitions of your
internal disk to store the Final Cut Pro software and other media.
Separate volumes provide a lower chance of fragmentation and faster
performance than your computer's internal disk." And page 59: "Note: It
is best to use a separate disk dedicated to video capture."

Daniel
Daniel Beck
danielbeck at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/danielbeck/