[MacDV] Re: iDVD3 w/ external drive... Anybody try this?

Craig Busch clbusch at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 22 01:15:36 PST 2003

I don't know where this fits in with all of this going on but the other day I saw a post
about a product being marketed by LaCie.  It is called CaptyDVD.  It is a DVD authoring
program that sells for $149.  It has only been out in the US for a few weeks.  It was
created by a company in Japan, and previous to now, was only available in Japan. The
company Pixela (?), found a US distributor- LaCie.  The program works on G3 and G4
computers.  It also works in OS9 and OSX.  You can buy the software only for $149 or you
can buy their external firewire DVD 4X burner which includes the software for $379.  I
called today and I am trying to learn more about it.  They don't have a lot of
information, but that is changing.  The product is available now.

It will work with any/most external firewire DVD burners.  It does not have to be an
Apple superdrive.  It also works with G3 computers.

It is supposedly similar to iDVD, but with some more capability.  From what I have read,
it may not be as intuitive as iDVD3, but it is learnable.

There is very little out on it so far, so I am following it.  Then I read the post about
the iDVD3 patch, which sounded hopeful, but might not be.  I also think I read that Toast
is working on a DVD authoring program.

Anyway, you can contact www.lacie.com to get more information.  I will continue to watch
it and see what kind of user feedback I find.

I have never used or seen it.  I have just read about it and talked to LaCie.  I am
definitely interested.