[MacDV] which camera?

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 15:19:17 PST 2003

on 24/2/03 21:45, timjoe at timjoe48 at webtv.net wrote:

> hi all, i'm trying to choose a lightweight, quality videocamera...one
> person here recommended the Sony TRV900; another person referred to the
> Canon ZR series but didn't recommend one in particular...any other
> thoughts out there?
> tim

After doing a lot of research I decided on a Sony DCR-TRV25E (UK PAL model)
as being a good all round entry level megapixel single CCD camera.

It has DV in/out, a good lens,  works great with iMovie 2 and 3, sound
quality is  pretty good if used sensibly. (ie use external mics when
necessary).

It has proved an excellent choice - only moan I have is the tape loading
underneath the camera needing the tripod plate taken off every time.

I reckon would have to go to a 3 CCD model to make a significant improvement
on results, for the situations I normally encounter.

As far as makes go,  Sony and Canon are fine, Samsung is not - you can see
and hear the difference.  Other makes of DV camera I have not used
personally.

Hope that helps,

Colin McDonald