The deal with FreePlay

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Feb 26 14:47:04 PST 2003

> From: rainydaypictures at shaw.ca
> For those who thought of using the FreePlay music via Apple iDisk might
> as well forget it (if you want to use it for commercial productions).
> They said it is for non-commercial use.

> I thought their (FreePlay) was an
> absolute rip off. Any thoughts?

It is pretty obvious that Freeplay's provided music on .Mac members'
iDisks is for non-commercial use only, but surely that exactly what 99%
of the people who have iMovie/iDVD would be using it for? I think it is
*wonderful* that Apple arranged the deal with Freeplay so that people
could have decent music for their videos and show them on the web (for
example) without worrying about breaking copyright law or having to
hassle with rights issues. All for free!

If you want to use original music in a commercial production, of course
you have to pay for it. Duh.

Hire a composer, or check around the various stock-music outfits out
there. Most "professional" video houses would have already bought a
library of stock music to have around -- there are some really good
deals out there if you look.

_Chas_

New at http://filmmoi.blogspot.com - reviews of "The Royal Tenenbaums"
and "My Voyage to Italy." Check it out!