iDVD3- How is it working for you?

Bill Ronk bronk at optonline.net
Thu Feb 27 18:27:18 PST 2003

I was actually torn between writing a very detailed post or keeping it
general. Since the question was  generally stated, I decided to post in
kind. I am happy to elaborate.

I've encountered 3 separate issues with iDVD3.

The first project I tried to burn was an existing project from iDVD2.
When burning it would progress to the stage 4 Multiplexing and burning
stage, then iDVD would unexpectedly quit, and eject the disc with an
error message stating it was unreadable. Several different disks, same
result. So I started from scratch.

The next project was created entirely in iMovie 3 and iDVD3. This time
the burning process stalled at stage 3 asset encoding. Stalled means
hours of no activity and several successive tries with the same result.
I then went to the Apple iDVD discussion forum. There are many posts
describing similar activity.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@228.cag6a4BHhV2.12@.eebeb28

   The recipe that worked for me:

1. When working with the iDVD project, make sure that all files have
completed encoding in the status window of iDVD. It says done when it
is done. When the project is finished. Save the project, then quit
iDVD. and shut down.
2. Boot from a CD and repair permissions.
3. Restart and open iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie in that order - Do not
open iDVD or the iDVD project directly. Rather, set DVD preferences to
launch iDVD on disk insertion. Then insert a blank DVD-R.
4. Be sure all energy saving and screen effects preferences are set to
never.
5. Burn

I can assure all that my comments were not meant to be cavalier.
Rather, I  admittedly lack the knowledge to know which of these steps
are actually helpful, and which are akin to sticking pins in a doll.
Also, as a subsequent post has noted, I only went through this process
once, and have burned a couple of DVD's since with varying results.

The third problem I encountered was the playback quality of 2
"successfully" burned disks. One stutters and pixelates at several
points during playback, and the other freezes at the same place during
playback. The problem is present on my iMac, iBook, and standalone
player. Bad media? I have burned several other disks that seem to play
fine.

Bill