speaking of real audio

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Feb 27 23:28:38 PST 2003

> From: rg ball <rgb at ellerbach.com>
>
> Well this is getting off-topic for the list so I'll answer and then
> suggest any follow-ups be in private email.

I'm answering this on the list because it's misinformation that needs
to be cleared up.

> Why? Because the realaudio programs communicate back to Real everything
> you use them for;

I can't speak at all about the Windows version of the program, but the
Real product manager for the Mac version told me himself that this is
100% BS. Not only does RealPlayer NOT collect *any* data about WHAT you
listen to/watch, the few prefs it DOES send back (quality of connection
and speed of connection info) can easily be turned off in preferences
if you don't want them to know.

You can see for yourself by actually looking at the preferences, or
reading their explanation of what does and does not get sent here
<http://www.real.com/products/player/more_info/
moreinfo.html?ID=317&DC=MAC01D&LANG=en&PN=RealPlayer&PV=9.0.0.288&PT=FRE
E&OS=Mac&CM=&CMV=&LS=&RE=&RA=&RV=> instead of relying on rumours and
half-truths you picked up on the net somewhere.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com
http://filmmoi.blogspot.com

"Best Documentary EVER," Assoc. of Documentary Filmmakers:
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com