[MacDV] Re: speaking of real audio

Marcus Albers mjalbers at mchsi.com
Fri Feb 28 06:05:07 PST 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 07:23  AM, rg ball wrote:

> On [2003-Feb-28]  Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>> I'm answering this on the list because it's misinformation that
> needs
>> to be cleared up.
>
> Read the license agreement
>
>> E&OS=Mac&CM=&CMV=&LS=&RE=&RA=&RV=> instead of relying on rumours and
>> half-truths you picked up on the net somewhere.
>
> No rumors or half-truths, straight from the horse's mouth (from the
> agreement displayed during the install of the Mac version of the
> player):

I'm not sure what you are reading in here, but all I see are a few
references to sending your user ID to RealNetworks to access premium
account services, information about quality of connection, and auto
update information.  Unless I am missing it, no where in there is there
anything that even remotely suggests that they are sending clandestine
information about what you are doing with the RealPlayer on your
computer, i.e. do you have Audio Hijack installed and running,
capturing the RA stream that you are listening to.

http://www.real.com/products/player/more_info/
moreinfo.html?ID=317&DC=52002&LANG=&PN=RealOne%20Player&PV=9.0.0.288&PT=
Free&OS=Mac&CM=&CMV=&LS=&RE=&RA=&RV=

The above link does a very good job of outlining what is sent by
default, and how to shut it off.

And if you're still worried, try a program like Little Snitch.  The
whole time I was using RealPlayer this morning, Little Snitch didn't
report any unusual network activity from RealPlayer.

--
Marcus J. Albers
Musician, Animator, Film-buff, Video-geek,