speaking of real audio

rg ball rgb at ellerbach.com
Fri Feb 28 05:23:36 PST 2003

On [2003-Feb-28]  Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm answering this on the list because it's misinformation that
needs
> to be cleared up.

Read the license agreement

> E&OS=Mac&CM=&CMV=&LS=&RE=&RA=&RV=> instead of relying on rumours and
> half-truths you picked up on the net somewhere.

No rumors or half-truths, straight from the horse's mouth (from the
agreement displayed during the install of the Mac version of the
player):

REALNETWORKS, INC.
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
REALNETWORKS, INC.

[snip]

6.                 AUTOMATIC COMMUNICATIONS FEATURES.

a)                    The Software consists of interactive Internet
applications that perform a variety of communications over the Internet
as part of their normal operation.  A number of communications features
are automatic and are enabled by default. By installing and/or using
the Software, you consent to the Software’s communications features.
Once you log into the Software, user information including your
user id will be sent in communications with RN’s servers. This information
is used to access your regular account, premium content, non-premium
content, services, features, and other personalized services. RN
may match the user id to personally identifiable information in order
to provide you with products, services, and software that you’re
entitled to and to provide you with relevant information. You are
responsible for any telecommunications or other connectivity charges
incurred through use of the Software.

b)                   Cookies: The Software also allows the use of
cookies, similar to an Internet browser.  This allows any website
to set cookies for you when you view any of the website’s content
through the Software, unless you have disabled cookies. If you have
disabled cookies, you may be asked to login each time you access
premium software features and services and some RealOne services
may not function properly. To learn more, visit the RealNetworks
Privacy Policy link on our website at http://www.realnetworks.com/company/privacy/index.
html.

c)                    AutoUpdate: The RealOne Player, using AutoUpdate,
automatically communicates with RN's servers on the Internet to
check for updates to RN’s and RN partner’s software, such as bug
fixes, patches, enhanced functions, missing plug-ins and new versions.
AutoUpdate also has the capability to run independently of RealOne
Player to perform background update checks. RN may download updates
during the background checks, when RealOne Player automatically communicates
with RN’s servers, when you manually check for updates, or when RealOne
Player detects a file it does not support. AutoUpdate sends information
about installed RealNetworks’ products and components to the servers
to determine upgrade availability. If you prefer to be notified when
an auto-update is performed, follow these steps: On the Tools menu,
select Preferences, AutoUpdate, and then de-select “Automatically
download and install software updates.” However, as we describe above,
certain updates to RealOne Player functionality will happen automatically
and without advance notification.

d)                   Message Center: The RealOne Player software,
using Message Center, automatically communicates with RN’s servers
to check for new important messages, including software updates and
service bulletins.  Message Center can also run independently of
RealOne Player to perform background new message checks. Message
Center sends information about installed RealNetworks’ products and
components to the servers to allow receipt of suitable product update
and other messages. Message Center is set by default to show message
headlines and to check for messages once or twice a week. You can
change the way messages are displayed and the frequency messages
are checked by following these steps: On the View menu, select ‘Message
Center’; The Messaging Center dialog appears; On Options, select
‘Delivery Preferences’ and select the desired preferences. If you
sign up for services that send messages more often than the frequency
you have selected, your frequency selection may be adjusted. The
first time you use RealOne Player, you will be sent a Welcome Message
that will enable you to opt-out of receiving Special Offers messages
and opt-in to receive other personalized messages, depending on your
categories of interest. Receipt of upgrade information is not optional.