[MacDV] fundamental question

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Feb 28 12:21:07 PST 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 07:35 AM, timjoe wrote:

> 1. is video work with a mac is more complicated and glitch-ridden than
> you imagined it would be?

Using Final Cut Pro or Express should provide flawless broadcast (DV)
level editing at whatever scope you require. I have had essentially
ZERO problems working professionally with Final Cut Pro on a TiBook,
editing DVCAM footage, which is the technical equal to Betacam SP
according to the SMPTE. Your problem, with Final Cut Pro, is that you
will NOT be able to do accurate color correction for NTSC (regular old
TV) if you do not at least have a TV, or better, a real monitor (like
the Sony PVM-14M4U, which you can rent at most pro rental houses.) For
basic editing, intended to later be color corrected, a TiBook with FCP
(assuming DV or DVCAM) should be rock solid, and the best solution for
field purposing. If your material is not pro-related, then you're done,
even without the TV/Monitor. Final Cut is capable of dazzling anyone in
the broadcast industry, correctly applied. We're submitting a show we
did on a TiBook into competition against stuff  produced in $500 per
hour (and up) edit suites. Ours was about a 200-hour edit involving a
huge amount of footage. You just can't tell we didn't spend the big
bucks.

> 2. are there just too many pitfalls in this type of endeavor for an
> average-ability videographer/computer user to deal with?

Using iMovie and iDVD would be the pitfalls, more specifically iMovie.
By all means at LEAST use Final Cut Express. There will be a slight
learning curve, but the payoff is huge.

Richard Brown