fundamental question

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Feb 28 12:24:56 PST 2003

> From: timjoe48 at webtv.net (timjoe)
> 1. is video work with a mac is more complicated and glitch-ridden than
> you imagined it would be?

No. It is far, far simpler than it has ever been before. You have to
bear in mind that lists such as this one are a) populated mostly by
professionals and amateurs with complex needs who may encounter
situations that 99% of "normal" users would never see and b) that
anytime a new piece of software comes out you get a rash of reports
about problems, limitations and bugs. iMovie3 and iDVD3 (and Final Cut
Express for that matter) are all brand-spankin'-new, and have some bugs
to work out. A .1 update will be along soon enough and the complaints
will fade. Oh and don't forget c) people only tend to write to these
lists when they have an issue. You never see hundreds of thousands of
emails saying "wow! I made my first DVD! This is too cool!" but that is
in fact what's happening to hundreds of thousands of people.

> 2. are there just too many pitfalls in this type of endeavor for an
> average-ability videographer/computer user to deal with?

No, not at all. The entire process is usually trouble-free and in fact
a heck of a lot of fun. Maybe not perfect, but by and large most people
who are putting together less-than-world-class projects aren't having
any (or many) of the issues you read on this list. And believe me, very
few people on this list -- even those who are having problems -- would
consider going back to the "old way" of doing video (or worse, changing
platforms!) which should tell you something.

_Chas_

"Executives in the PC business use the word "sexy", in such a way that
I'm always surprised to discover that their children aren't adopted.
The Mac interface is not "sexy", and it would be grotesque to want it
to be. It is, in fact, playful, often well over the line into
frivolity. The bouncing icons (and the puffs of smoke and the
pipe-organ speech synthesizer and the way dialogs tidily resize and the
drop-shadows on the windows and the jellybean buttons and the eject key
on the keyboard) are not individually rationalizable on utilitarian
grounds, and they do not pretend they mean to be. They are there to, in
aggregate, change the nature of your relationship with the device. They
are joyful, and they hope their joy is infectious." -- Glenn McDonald