[MacDV] Best Option for transferring Video to DVD

K. kochkodin at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 1 07:56:37 PST 2003

Kerry Gray wrote:

> I have a Mac G4 with 733 mhz and a 40gb hd it also has 512 kb and a CD and a
> DVD burner installed. It also has imovie.  It is operation on Mac 9.2.  I
> have numerous VHS tapes, Hi8 video tapes and Digital 8 video tapes.  I have
> looked at the new Phillips DVD recorder which transfers video directly to
> DVD.  Has anyone tried one?  Would  this be my best option?  If you've tried
> it, what is the quality like?  Or should I purchase something for my Mac to
> transfer the videos? I don't intend to edit them, just to transfer them?
> Kerry Gray

We got the Philips DVDR985 a few days before Christmas and have transferred about six 2
hr VHS tapes to it so far.  My son has been the one using it as I haven't had the chance
to sit down and really get acquainted with it  as yet.  I am very happy with the quality
and ease of use .  We haven't started using the titleing functions etc yet...just
straight transfer from vcr to dvd and it works well..No video or sound synch problems or
anything like that.  I have over 170 hrs of family video that needs to be transferred
and after that about 5 hrs of Super 8 film that I also need to get on dvd.  It was $799
at Circuit City plus an additional  $90 for their 3 year extended service plan...I
usually don't mes with those esp's but they did come in handy when my vhs-c camcorder
died on graduation nite a few years ago and they gave me a new one right at the
store...no hassles at all...also had a cd/boombox that died about 3 weeks before the 3
yr esp expired and they set me a check for it...CC has been great for me....  Anyway, I
was trying to decide between the recorder and a new G4 w/Superdrive and was just about
$1200 short for that option so we got the Philips...I would recommend it without any
reservations if you want to do basic stuff like I plan on doing...Also, it is real time
transfer...playing and recording at the same time with a few minutes to finalize the dvd
afterwards... NOTE  the format is DVD + ..Sam's club here in State College PA was
selling 10 packs of DVD +R's for $17.95 and I got 3 of them...
HTH..Regards,
Mike K