[MacDV] Re: Richard's suggestion for "scanning" 10,000 slides MacDV Digest #1829

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Wed Jan 1 09:34:28 PST 2003

On 12/31/02 6:49 PM, "Richard Brown" <richard at go2rba.com> wrote:

> The Sigma has the CMOS RGB per pixel chip. Astoundingly good, but,
> not sure as to availability slide duping accessories and questionable
> overall lens quality.
> I have an expensive Sigma Zoom that is unsharp at all times, and has
> been relegated
> to the "for sale" column. The CMOS in the Sigma is absolutely state of
> the art, however.

Yes, I threw in the Sigma because of the imager, which I think would be
especially beneficial for macro copy photography with a slide duplicator.

Just goes to show that digital still camera technology continues to evolve
at an astounding pace. Frankly, I'd never heard of the Sigma SD9 until just
prior to my post, when I wanted to check a reference to the Kodak DCS Pro
14n.

My (new) dream digital SLR:

  + 14 Megapixel
  + Full frame imager, 1:1 to 35mm frame
    (critical for wide angle work, virtual reality)
    [Note: this appears to be a major shortcoming of
    the Sigma SD9]
  + Foveon technology used in Sigma SD9
  + Built-in GPS, location meta data in each image
  + Canon or Nikon lenses, or comparable quality
  + Lens line that includes a 15mm rectilinear lens,
    or 14mm rectilinear, preferably.
  + Firewire

Danny Grizzle