[MacDV] Re: The DV Revolution

Jerry Axley omnipresent at mpinet.net
Thu Jan 2 13:27:31 PST 2003

Did anyone see a Danish movie called "The Celebration"????? A movie by
director Thomas Vinterburg which was shot entirely on a 1 ccd (yes one ccd)
sony minidv camera. Steven Spielburg said that if he had been asked to
contribute money before the movie was shot, he would have. Brad Pitt called
it one of his favorite movies of all time in a GQ mag article. This movie
was shot under the Dogme 95 pact: All natural lighting. Only handheld camera
work. No sets. No soundtrack ... it was amazing!!!

Don't limit yourselves people. If you've got a really great story like The
Celebration, hell, shoot it on hi-8. But whatever the case, don't quit or
not make your movie because you don't have 35mm money. Stanley Kubrick's
"Eyes Wide SHut" looked beautiful on the 35mm stock he chose. But this movie
- which starred Tom Cruise and Nicole Cruise - itself was not near as good
as The Celebration!

If there is a will, there is a way!

Jerry