iLife and G4 450

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Wed Jan 8 10:15:11 PST 2003

>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:45:16 -0500
>From: Ira Flatow <iflatow at iraflatow.com>
>
>As an alternative, I'm thinking about dropping an internal 105 DVD-R into my
>G4 450 and using iLife on that machine to create DVDs with iMovie and iDVD.

Should work fine.

>Does anyone have any experience doing this and can tell me how long it takes
>iMovie to render a 30 minute QT Movie, import it in to iDVD and then burn a
>disc at 2-4x?  I'm wondering if my G4 450 might be too slow.

I haven't used iDVD on anything below 733MHz, but I've used DVD
Studio Pro to do MPEG-2 encoding on a G4/450, and it takes about 3x
the length of the QT DV file to encode. I find that pretty tolerable.
I think iDVD would work fine with your system.

BTW, MPEG-1 took about twice as long as MPEG-2, since it is much
higher compression.