[MacDV] Re: Safari pros and Cons!

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 8 10:24:44 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

> The whole point of the way markup languages were specified was to
> allow each browser to have control over the output of the description.
> This, I always felt, was amazingly stupid. Time has (I believe) proved
> me right.

Its actually more directed at conceptually separating the content from
specifics of display to make it portable. The viewer gets to specify
things like what <BOLD> is, but that's not really the key motivation.
The primary motivator is to create an abstract idea of presentation
that makes the content look fairly good across a lot of devices with
different sizes and capabilities. Its not as dumb as it looks on the
surface.

SR