[MacDV] Ipod

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 9 09:23:22 PST 2003

On 1/9/03 6:25 AM, "phil" <pbevan at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Just out of interest, what are the ipods like- does anyone have one and are
> they worth the money. I was planning to buy one and just want an objective
> review.

I think iPod is super cool, and I want one bad. Why haven't I bought
already? The worst thing for me about iPod is the promise it holds to be so
much more. I was looking for Steve Jobs to rock the world with iPod
announcements at Tuesday's MacWorld keynote, but it didn't happen.

What's on my wish list? Here are some items I've submitted to Apple via the
feature request link on the iPod home page:

  1) iPod already has Firewire. Add software to support using iPod
     as a DV disk recorder. Examples already on the market:

     + Sony DSR-DU1 <http://www.sonyusadvcam.com/>
     + Laird Capdiv <http://www.lairdtelemedia.com/>
     + Datavideo DV Bank <http://www.datavideo-tek.com/>
     + Focus FireStore <http://www.focusinfo.com/>

     When iPod replaces tape, linking my DVCAM direct to Final Cut Pro,
     then iPod is no longer a toy, and I will buy 6.

  2) Might as well add a color screen for a video iPod.
     Useful to me to spot check DV footage in the field.

  3) Mate iPod to iPhoto, same as current link with iTunes.
     Digital still cameras are great, but there is a need for
     a quick mass storage device to download pictures off
     a camera while in the field or traveling abroad. Even
     the new MiniMe PowerBook is too cumbersome for hiking
     or seeing San Francisco on foot. Color LCD handy here,
     too, much better quality, faster navigation than tiny
     LCD screens on typical digital still camera.

  4) Built-in microphone. I like the idea of voice anotation
     of photos, or even the ability to record an all-day
     business seminar.

  5) Wouldn't it be great to have an iPod that would do
     QuickTime, and even link to the new Apple Keynote
     presentation app. Business users could fly to
     meetings with everything -- music & presentation --
     in a jacket pocket.

  6) Bluetooth.

  7) Bluetooth applications. I like the idea of passing
     an iPod around the car on a road trip, except the thought
     of my daughter getting control of the car sound system.

  8) Bigger drives. My CD collection won't fit on the current
     models. Not to mention DV.

  9) GPS. Because I want maps and navigation wherever I go.
     I also want to record location metadata with photos and
     associated voice annotations.

 10) Wireless web browsing.

 11) Text messaging. So my machines back home can talk to me.

 12) Cell phone. Just add a mic to the earbud cable,
     and we're done.

I expect iPod to assume an increasing role as a hub in Apple's digital
lifestyle product strategy. The only surprise is that more has not happened
already! I'd predict iPod will be the coolest Apple product over the next 5
years.

Danny Grizzle