External FW DVD-RW & DVDSP?

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 13 10:59:29 PST 2003

I just got my CenDyne (Pioneer) DVR-105 installed in a TT-345U2F
enclosure, the  same one used for OWC's combo DVD-RW drive:

<http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfmID=5238&Item=OWCMRFWU2D105>

I'm using it with an 800MHz TiG4 running OS/X 10.2.3. Seems to be
working properly as I can play a video DVD from it though the PB.

I want to be able to burn my FCP projects to DVD-R using DVDSP but
haven't purchased DVDSP yet. Will I be able to use this External FW
DVD-RW solution?

"Why do I ask?" you may be wondering. Well, I have just purchased
Retrospect Express with the intention of backing up my hard drive to
DVD-RW using my new FW DVD-RW. After several attempts, I'm comming to
the conclusion that this set up is not supported. (Any suggestions
towards making this work would be appreciated!)

While this is a minor PITA for me, I really don't want to plop down
the cash for DVDSP only to find it won't work with my FW DVD-RW.
That's why I'd like to hear from anyone who might have personal
success with DVDSP & external FW drives like mine. I've gone to the
Apple site & read through a bunch of stuff, but haven't found any
answer to my spacific issue.

TIA,

Frank Wiewandt