[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 13:18:50 PST 2003

>On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 11:47  PM, Bobbo wrote:
>
>> And that being the case, it was premature and
>> inconsiderate of Apple to slam the door on the possibility of staying
>> with
>> 9 until X is right.
>
>And anyone who wants to stay with 9 can. I must be missing something,
>because I really don't understand this sentiment.

The sentiment relates to Apple's decision to prevent the very choice you
mention, by preventing new Macs from being able to boot into 9.

>OSX has many features that are the same as OS 9, some are different,
>and some are only found on OS X.       And some of the latter are only
>possible on OS X. Its simply not feasible (or maybe not even possible)
>for Apple to provide things like Aqua and Quartz on OS 9. There has to
>be a very strong incentive for any developer (including Apple) to pass
>on using some of the most powerful aspects of OS X for the sake of
>making their app OS 9 compatible.
>
>IOW, the features/enhancements that you want a given upgrade for may
>only be possible because that application leverages new features found
>in OS X.

Yes, I understand that. Under the present stars (i.e., a Mac bought before
2003), I can opt to either boot into X to use these features, or boot into
9 to utilize older (or better or more reliable) software and/or hardware.
Future users won't have that choice. Once more, in the face of the enormous
time lag (by today's standards, at least) between the intro of X and the
catchup of drivers and hardware, it was a mistake for Apple to make new
machines unbootable in 9.

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com