[MacDV] Re: External FW DVD-RW & DVDSP?

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 13 13:26:32 PST 2003

Kunga,

> Yes DVDSP works with external DVD-R drives.

Thanks for your reply.

If you mean *any* external DVD-R drive, including my CenDyne (Pioneer)
DVR-105 / TT-345U2F combo, and not just certain *supported* DVD-R
drives, that is welcomed news. This is the problem I ran into with
Retrospect.

> But for less than that
> $1,000, you can sell your TiBook 800 and buy the GHz 12" APB
SuperDrive
> for $2,000 or the 15" TiPB for $2800 and get to use iDVD3 with it.

I'm sure iDVD3 would be OK for awhile, but I do video professionally &
think I'll want the additional features of DVDSP in the near future
anyway. I might as well start the learning process for that app.
sooner than later.

> This route will probably only cost you a few hundred dollars to
> graduate to the 15" SuperDrive TiPB.

A few hundred here, a few hundred there, what's the big deal? ;-)  All
this buying (and/or selling) really isn't what I want to be doing. I
spent more than I really wanted to in the first place. Now I'm
supposed to take a hit on my "old" PB *&* pay a few hundred more to do
something that, IMO, I should be able to do now anyway? I see your
point but I don't think I'm going in that direction.

I haven't yet begun to regret my fairly pricey "Switch", but I've got
to say I never expected it to be the money hole it's turned out to be.
When all is said & done, I just want to be able to use FCP to edit my
video, then output to DVD-R using the above mentioned FW DVD-RW. If I
need DVDSP to do that, so be it. Above & beyond that, I'm not sure
what I'm going to be able to do without, what seems to me, more
expense & hassle than the PC counterpart. Just the early opinion of a
fairly new (& somewhat frustrated) Mac owner.

> Plus you'll be faster and won't
> have to be asking these questions about Retrospect Express.

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. I haven't heard that the 1Gig TiG4 is that
much faster, if any, than the 800MHz machine. Ultimately, I might be
better off with the DVR-105 (not *yet* supported in Retrospect) for
the purpose of burning video DVDs, than going backward to the DVR-104
in the Gig TiPB, as well.

I guess I'll have to step up to the plate & order DVDSP now that I
know it'll work with my hardware. As to my Retrospect problem, if I
can't find a way to make it work with my DVD-RW, I'll just have to get
a bunch of CD-RWs & use the combo drive that's built into the TiG4 &
supported in this app. until Dantz upgrades the list of supported
drives.

Life goes on ...

Take care,

Frank Wiewandt