[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Mon Jan 13 13:55:49 PST 2003

Bobbo is coming from a from the need for a very specific and esoteric
set of audio applications in his professional audio production business
environment. He is correct in believing that Apple hasn't done enough
for his very small but important market segment to safely make the
transition to OSX with all of his expensive hardware and software
investment left in tact and fully operational as it still is if he
keeps using OS 9.

Mike is correct too. The problem is that Apple has to keep innovating
its system software while it also trys to manage the very complex
transition from the legacy OS 9 to the modern OS X while also trying to
help developers do the dame for applications. Some developers simply
can't afford the cost of the transition and Apple can't help them all
get through it for a market that may be as small as the one Bobbo is a
part of. The audio and music market is highly visible and very
important. But it's not as big as many of the other markets that Apple
has had to deal with so far in these transition years 2000-2004.

Audio and music parts of OS X are just now getting documented for
developers.

I'm hoping that Apple's acquisition of eMagic will help divert more of
Apple's attention and resources to this market segment.