[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 14:11:17 PST 2003

Hi, Kunga.

First, may I echo the sentiments of an earlier lista, and add my thanks for
all your help and support, not just on this list, but others as well.

Next, though I use audio as an example, I am torqued at Apple for their
decision. If I wanna use 9, dang it and dash it, that should be my
decision, particularly in view of X's (I insist) incomplete evolution
toward full usability. When X is ready for me, I'll migrate joyfully,
embrace the learning curve (which, of necessity, I've already done to some
degree) and forget 9 the way I forgot 6.0.3 (still the most stable Mac
platform ever). So while I appreciate your taking my part, this is not
about audio, it's about a corporate arrogance that I tend to associate with
other platforms, one that seems willing to disregard its own failings in
furtherance of a schedule.

As to the size of the audio market, Kunga, it may not be as small as you
think. Granted, it doesn't have the stature of word processing, or perhaps
even medical insurance claim software. But it is huge. Millions of people
use this sort of software in applications ranging from home movie sound
editing to the giant ProTools setups that create the biggest Hollywood
soundtracks. ProTools ain't Photoshop, but then again, it ain't lawn and
garden software either. ;-)

The point remains, Apple's move to OSX broke a heckuva lot of software and
hardware. Classic fixed only some of the problem. Things have been getting
better (though Jag actually created some new PITAs), but we're not yet at
the point whereat Apple should have slammed the door on 9.

OK, I've had my fill of my own voice on this, so will leave the debate to
others, and will look forward to the new iMovie and iDVD incarnations, to
help me ease into X in spite of myself. ;-)

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com