[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Mon Jan 13 15:26:00 PST 2003

You must be the kind of customer they dream of, one born every minute.
Using analogy then if I bought a car that broke down every other day it
might be safe but I would should not expect it to be fixed?  If they
told me that my car was still being developed when I bought and that if
I were to only BUY these additional parts it would work just as it was
advertised to in first place would you expect me to be happy?  You may
be a happy Yugo driver but I certainly would be p*%% off.

The iDVD program not recognizing outside the box DVD-R drives is
another Apple policy that rubs me the wrong way (though not affecting
me since I have a superdrive) and in my opinion is a money grab by
Apple at the expense of their loyal followers.  It has made many
perfectly fine machines obsolete for no really good reason.  I know
someone will pipe in with the licensing issue but they charge for iDVD
so just charge a little more and pay for the darn license.
Gerhard
On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 06:04  PM, Phyllis Evans wrote:

> I never said Jaguar was a fix. I said that 10.1 was not the greatest.
> Compare it to the auto industry. The first year run of a new model
> line is generally plagued with lots of design problems that are fixed
> in the second and third year. Do you expect Ford or GM to trade even
> for a redesigned model? They fix the problems that are deemed
> dangerous. That's it. I think there should have been an upgrade price,
> but I'm not going to beat my chest over $30 or $40. It's still far
> better than anything out of Microsnot. And yes, I do work with Windoze
> at the office. It makes me appreciate what we have with Apple.
>

> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 05:46  PM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:
>
>> And then they have the nerve to charge for the Jaguar "upgrade" when
>> in reality it is a fix!
>> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 05:38  PM, Phyllis Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Just my little 2¢ worth on the subject. Apple had to stop developing
>>> for OS 9 sometime. Jaguar is the most stable upgrade that I can
>>> remember in years, and I go back to 6.whatever (I think it was 6.7)
>>> when the multifinder was introduced. As long as they keep developing
>>> OS 9, other software companies will drag their feet on the move to
>>> OS X. My primary word processor is Nisus because of the glossary
>>> feature, and if they don't release at least a beta VERY soon,
>>> they've lost me as a customer. That and my LabelWriter software are
>>> the only things I run in Classic. If companies think that we will
>>> continue to run OS 9 or Classic, they have no incentive to get off
>>> their behinds and develop for OS X. How long should a company
>>> continue to support an old system? It takes a lot of extra work to
>>> make the current machines run in OS 9, and that translates into
>>> extra money that could be going into R & D for future systems.
>>>
>>> I agree that 10.1 was not a great system, and while I played with
>>> it, I didn't make the move to 10 until the release of Jaguar. Since
>>> making the move, I've never looked back. Yes, I had to limber up the
>>> gray matter and learn a few new things, but it was worth it. It's
>>> time to move on. If you're happy with OS 9, then use it, but don't
>>> criticize Apple for lighting a fire under the developers out there
>>> to get with it. If Adobe can do it, so can others.

> digest version.

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net