Two DVD's in G4?

Tom Kirshbaum tom.kirshbaum at nau.edu
Mon Jan 13 15:29:38 PST 2003

I run OS 9 and OS X on a three-year-old G4 400 AGP. It has a built-in 5.2 GB
DVD RAM drive.

If I buy a Panasonic 105 Super Drive, can I install it also as an internal,
use iDVD to for burning movie DVDs, and continue to use the old DVD-RAM for
storage? I.e., will the system recognize both of them?

The reason I want to do this is that I keep all my backups on DVD-RAM and I
want to continue to have access to them. I also have quite a few of the
expensive 5.2 GB DVD-RAM media which I don't want to waste.

If this isn't possible, could I put the old DVD-RAM in an external Firewire
box, install the 105 internally and achieve the same result? I'd rather not
have to buy the external box, but I will if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Kirshbaum