[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 06:29:03 PST 2003

LOL! Sure, why shouldn't it be stable?? What was it being asked to do? Run
a teeny B&W bitmap only screen? Keep in line such complex masses of
programming as MacPaint, MacWrite and Excel? Brrrrr! Even Switcher didn't
exist yet, and the OS had to deal with a massive 128K of RAM, expandable to
1 meg of you could afford it. My first hard drive was a huge 20 meg, serial
(floppy disk) connector, and I paid $999 for it. Of course, a graphics file
back then mighta been 32K...

The truth is, in spite of my hanging on to 9 and hollering at Apple, X is
amazing!! So was 7, for that matter, and all the way back to the original
Mac. Remember the thrill of seeing Switcher scroll the screen to another
program, right where we left it? No multifinder yet. And we must recall the
state of the art at the time preceding the Mac: command line interfaces,
baby. Programming lightweight applications in Basic. Or running sequencer
programs through an installed MIDI card on an Apple II, with only an
approximation of what we would call graphics today. Today? Desktop
publishing, video editing with preview, burning DVD or outputting to
tape... studio functions that, at the time of the Apple, were only
available on tape, and would cost in the hundreds of thousands for
reasonable levels of productivity.

I am a late adopter because I've been burned. Apple is no longer two Steves
in a garage, but a massive corporate critter with a mind of its own. But
it's good to take a look from the perspective that started it all.

Even with all the headaches, etc., we're really amazingly fortunate.

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com