[MacDV] Cleaner 6 automation?

Shane Walker shane at soldesignfx.com
Tue Jan 14 07:08:23 PST 2003

On 1/14/03 8:29 AM, "Bobbo" <bobbo924 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> LOL! Sure, why shouldn't it be stable?? What was it being asked to do? Run
> a teeny B&W bitmap only screen? Keep in line such complex masses of
> programming as MacPaint, MacWrite and Excel? Brrrrr! Even Switcher didn't
> exist yet, and the OS had to deal with a massive 128K of RAM, expandable to
> 1 meg of you could afford it. My first hard drive was a huge 20 meg, serial
> (floppy disk) connector, and I paid $999 for it. Of course, a graphics file
> back then mighta been 32K...
>
> The truth is, in spite of my hanging on to 9 and hollering at Apple, X is
> amazing!! So was 7, for that matter, and all the way back to the original
> Mac. Remember the thrill of seeing Switcher scroll the screen to another
> program, right where we left it? No multifinder yet. And we must recall the
> state of the art at the time preceding the Mac: command line interfaces,
> baby. Programming lightweight applications in Basic. Or running sequencer
> programs through an installed MIDI card on an Apple II, with only an
> approximation of what we would call graphics today. Today? Desktop
> publishing, video editing with preview, burning DVD or outputting to
> tape... studio functions that, at the time of the Apple, were only
> available on tape, and would cost in the hundreds of thousands for
> reasonable levels of productivity.
>
> I am a late adopter because I've been burned. Apple is no longer two Steves
> in a garage, but a massive corporate critter with a mind of its own. But
> it's good to take a look from the perspective that started it all.
>
> Even with all the headaches, etc., we're really amazingly fortunate.
>
> Bobbo
>

>> Actually, sys 1.0 was pretty stable (remember the mountains?). But then, in
>> May of '84 there were no hard drives, single-sided floppies, and only three
>> programs: MacPaint, MacWite, and MacPoker. (and less problems?) Ha. :-)
>>
>>> From: Phyllis Evans <pmevans at mac.com>
>>> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:38:54 -0500
>>> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>> Subject: [MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?
>>>
>>> Jaguar is the most stable upgrade that I can
>>> remember in years, and I go back to 6.whatever (I think it was 6.7)
>>> when the multifinder was introduced.
>>
>> ----------
>> <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
>> Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
>> digest version.
>>
>> XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
>> Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>
>>
>>   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>>   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
>>
>> MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879!
>> Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>
Anyone spent time setting up automated Quicktime transcoding in Cleaner
6.0.1 using watchfolders?  We're looking to set up a more efficient pipeline
for creating movies of mainly :30 ads for our clients (posting them on our
secured website).  So far, we've done manual captures from digibeta to
DV-format and transcoding in Cleaner, but if you can drop file sequences or
.avi's (i.e. From Avids) and have the program set up to auto-crunch and save
to certain folders, that'll take some of the headache and hands-on out of
it.

Thanks in advance,
Shane