200 gig hard drive vs. dividing hard imac drive

sb videovideo at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 08:12:54 PST 2003

some more info...

The bandwidth for firewire 400 is so much greater than you need for dv
capture that there is enough room to pass the video thru the harddrive into
the computer and then record it onto the drive.

If you are not having problems using two separate ports, go ahead and keep
doing it the same way, but keep in the back of your head that if you use a
Powerbook, you are going to have to daisy chain (only one FW port, unless
you add a CardBus), and if you change external HDs, you might need to also.

And, while running FCP you especially don't want to have 2 firewire VIDEO
devices plugged in at the same time, i.e. a camcorder and a media converter
box, since FCP won't know which one you mean.

sb