iMovie exporting to VHS

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:53:44 PST 2003

>Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:27:13 -0500
>From: <dave.vose at verizon.net>
>
>     Can anyone help me with importing?  I have a 9600/700 Sonnett G-4
>upgrade with atlas 10k2 10k rpm drives. The firewire card is also a Sonnett.
>When I import from my Sony DVD camera the motion gets choppy and stops
>almost immediately.  The audio continues for about 5 more seconds before it
>stops.  It does this in imovie 2 and fcp both.

Does the Mac OS even support Sony DVD cameras? I'm impressed you got that far.

>I get the alert that the disk is responding slowly or
>something has interrupted blah blah.

Are your drives defragmented? Try that first. Also, make sure all
background processes are turned off; e.g. fax software, AppleTalk,
etc.

Now, are you using a SCSI PCI card with that FW card? They are both
probably fighting to be the bus master. Try putting the FW card in
the first slot (closest to the CPU) and put the SCSI card in the 4th
slot. If you already have, see if your SCSI card has controller
software to slow it down, say to SCSI-2 speed (10 MB/s). That is what
I need to slow my SCSI card down to in my 8500. If not, put the SCSI
drives on the internal SCSI-2 bus. Either way is fast enough to
capture DV, and will leave plenty of bandwidth for the finicky FW
card.

Hope this helps.