[MacDV] Re: storage/Frankenstein Macs

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 16 08:47:36 PST 2003

On 1/16/03 9:16 AM, "Claudia Roberts" <croberts at nyct.net> wrote:

> I meant DVD 4.5 Gig disk storage.  I'm using Media 100 and Adobe Premiere on
> this
> machine and heard that if I upgrade to a new machine I won't be able to use my
> video
> editing equipment on it any more so I would like to try to stay with the 9600.
> I need
> more storage space but don't want to use a another hard drive because of the
> recent HD
> failure.

I'd try the Sonnet Tempo Trio. It will add Firewire to your machine, and
open the opportunity to use any external  Firewire device you choose,
including any DVD drives. You will also be able to add inexpensive internal
hard disks, though I don't know if the speed will be satisfactory for video
(it may well work, I just can't confirm.)

The thing about the Trio board -- any Firewire or USB peripherals you add
will be ready to migrate with you someday when you decide to replace your
CPU.

Sonnet Tempo Trio is about $180 at Other World Computing.

Tempo Trio is Firewire 400. Now that Firewire 800 is coming, I'd think SCSI
is dead, even for high speed disk arrays. LaCie has announced Firewire 800
hard disks. I have not heard if these are backwards compatible with Firewire
400, similar to backwards compatibility of USB2 to USB.

Danny Grizzle