[MacDV] Re: storage/Frankenstein Macs

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 16 09:22:17 PST 2003

On 1/16/03 10:07 AM, "James Asherman" <jimash at optonline.net> wrote:

> I don't see any reason why you couldn't put one of these
> http://www.creativepro.com/hardware/home/561.html
> on real easy.

If you buy a SCSI 35mm film scanner, it costs $200 instead of $2000. Why?
Because SCSI is discontinued. I would rather install a Firewire board in an
old computer than down the road try to find drivers for oddball SCSI devices
lashed unnaturally to a new CPU. This is especially true when paying full
price, not getting clearance deals on SCSI peripherals, 10¢ on the dollar.

> But you know 4.5 or even 7 it's not that much for raw video files.
> If you are having trouble with your scsi drives and don't want to futz
> with more maybe you want to get one of these
> http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/
> and then get a whopping 40-80-120 gig HD for less than $ 150 and be
> rockin' cheaper.

Very true. Frankly, I don't think DVD is an alternative to hard disk for
high speed online file storage. I would not believe any DVD drive would have
the throughput of a hard disk. The only plans I would make for a DVD
recorder is archiving, backup (Retrospect), and burning DVD video discs of
finished productions.

BTW - Sonnet makes less expensive single-purpose adapter cards. The trio is
a single PCI slot 3-way adapter: 2 Firewire, 2 USB, and 4 internal ATA/IDE
HDs.

I'm not sure what DVD mastering tools would support a Mac 9600. This whole
scenario may not be feasible. If it works at all, better hope the
manufacturer of a SCSI DVD recorder is committed to Mac driver support of a
product with very little sales potential. I'd think such a device would be
very likely to be orphaned, not maintained or supported come the day you buy
the latest new CPU and OS.

Danny Grizzle