Preview Doesn't Work on DVDSP

Ira Flatow iflatow at iraflatow.com
Sat Jan 18 09:14:58 PST 2003

Pat,
Glad to hear that your setup of DVDSP works so that Preview is allowed,
When I try to preview on my iMac FP, I get the following error message:
".....no compatible DVD Video decoding hardware available."
I'm betting this is because:
1.  My DVD burner is external, as below.
2.  I don't have a DVD player in my iMac...just a CD-RW. Perhaps if I had a
DVD player instead, it would recognize it internally. When I tried to
install Apple's own DVD Player software, it won't let me, saying I don't
have the hardware installed to use it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

if

> This doesn't work, in my experience! I have an iMac FP, CD-R and an
> external
> FW drive, DVD-RW.  Yes, I can run DVDSP but you can't PREVIEW your
> work as
> you work on it, i.e. You can't see how your work is progressing!  When
> trying to PREVIEW you get an error message saying that you need an
> internal
> drive to make this work.  And in my experience, not being able to
> PREVIEW
> your work while editing is like editing in the blind.
>
> So it almost makes the setup worthless...
> I, too, was considering swapping out the internal drive.

> Ira Flatow

So now let's Pat and Ira continue this dialog so Ira can figure out
what's wrong with his DVDSP settings.